General information of the Boboli garden
Boboli's garden is the green lung of Florence. It was designed in the Renaissance period as a private Grand Ducal garden in the Pitti palace. It is currently the most important Italian-style garden in the world both for its extension and for its architectural setting. It contains a large number of works ranging from those of the Roman age to those made in the twentieth century. Around 800,000 visitors pass through the garden every year to admire the beauties spread over an area of 45,000 square meters. The closest part to Palazzo Pitti is the oldest one. Over the centuries new parts have been added with dissimilar settings. The temples and fountains always arouse great admiration as well as the caves and tree-lined paths.
Island or islet basin
Taking the so-called lane, a downhill road lined with cypresses and statues, you get to the islet. The islet, also known by the name of the island's tub, was designed by the brothers Giulio and Alfonso Parigi in 1618. It is located in the center of a square surrounded by holm oak hedges which are close to 12 meters high. Numerous statues with various subjects are positioned in front of the plants: from historical to rural ones. The circular basin is located in the center and is characterized by the presence of an islet connected to the ground with two identical walkways. On the islet there are marble fountains depicting harpies that pour water into shells adorned with marine creatures. At the center of the island stands the sculptural complex of Neptune created by Giambologna.